Friday, December 02, 2005

Sounds

I was thinking just now about how often I tune sounds out. As a music major, we learn to tune stuff out really well. We have to in order to practice, because our practice rooms aren't sound proof, and often there'll be several other people practicing at the same time. But I was thinking as I sit here in my practice room about how blind people sort of "see" with their ears by listening very closely to everything around them. So I decided to listen really close and see what I'd hear. Here's what I'm hearing just now:
A French horn warming up with some arpeggio exercises
A violin playing something (not sure what, they're too far away to hear it clearly)
The whir of my computer
Footsteps in the hallway
The funny sound the radiator makes every few seconds
The tapping of the keys on the keyboard
A train going by
That's really alot of sounds! It's so wierd that if I hadn't made a concious effort ot listen to them I wouldn't even have noticed them! God designed us so wonderfully to be able to turn off our ears if we want to. = )

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home